Transform Care with The Empowerment Approach™:
The Carers as Coaches Programme
Cascade is a training package for foster carers and prospective adopters, developed by a group of experienced educationalists and psychologists, which provides a new and innovative approach to working with young people to explore issues, find solutions and impact sustainable change.
Over this introductory course, participants will develop an understanding of The Empowerment ApproachTM, a way of working with young people that utilises a range of coaching techniques and models leading to student empowerment, success and lasting self-efficacy.
Participants will learn and practise a set of tools and models which form a new way of communicating with and supporting young people.
This approach is particularly effective in supporting young people between the ages of 4 and 18 who exhibit a neurodiverse profile* (though may not necessarily have a formal diagnosis) and meet one or more of the following criteria:
- Demonstrate social or emotional difficulties which may lead to unwanted behaviours that are proving difficult to manage in the home or at school.
- Have been involved in incidents which have resulted in temporary or permanent exclusions from the classroom, enrichment activities or school itself, or may be at risk of this occurring in the future.
- Can sometimes struggle to access the curriculum or engage in learning at school.
- Are underachieving in literacy and/or numeracy, yet perform well in other subject areas.
The Cascade training programme has already received excellent feedback from practising foster carers who rated its content, delivery and impact as ‘excellent’. It is based on Genius Within programmes which have been running successfully across the UK for several years and have proven impact with adult offenders.
It consists of the following elements:
- Training for carers: 12 hours of adult group training (maximum of 25 participants) which can be delivered as two full days, four half days or six evening sessions of two hours each.
- Positive Cognitive Assessment: (including Vocational Strengths and Careers Advice): A positive cognitive assessment to provide an accurate picture of the young person’s strengths and difficulties, with a particular focus on strengths and how these can be used to achieve success now and in the future.
- Direct co-coaching: face-to-face co-coaching in the home with the young person and their carer/s.
If you would like to discuss this programme or to book one of our services, please contact: Kit Messenger, Head of Education, Genius Within CIC on +44 7469 233306 or email: Kit@geniuswithin.co.uk
You can also download our flyers and FAQs: