It is really important to us to know that our coaching is working.  Our MD Nancy who is also a Psychologist, believes that getting follow-up feedback is the only way to make sure that we are doing a good job.  Our commitment is to ‘evidence based practice’.

Our evaluation process works like this:

1. Managers and end users rate current performance at the start of each programme (independently of each other).  This rating covers the topics that will be focused on during the coaching and is scored out of 10.

2. Between 2 and 4 months after the coaching programme has finished, a researcher calls both the client and the manager.

3.  We ask them to give a new score, but we don’t remind them of their first score.  This helps to prevent them  giving extra high scores because of a ‘feel-good factor’ that they might have from liking their coach.

4.  We do this for all clients.  Around 75% of clients and 40% of managers return our calls and give feedback.  These scores are used to measure the effectiveness of our coaching strategies and of individual coaches.  Managers report a 30% improvement in performance after just 4 coaching sessions.

5. We conduct sample follow ups after 1 year.  Based on over 200 clients we can report that 90% of our coachees retain their position in the company and 25% are promoted within one year. The 10% who leave do so without need for further capability or performance management, based on a clear decision that the role is not playing to their strengths.

The most popular topics chosen by clients and managers (combined) for coaching are:

Memory: 91%

Organisational Skill: 78%

Time Management: 75%

Stress Management: 67%

Spelling: 67%

Communicating about needs: 57%

Reading: 54%

We think this speaks volumes about how dyslexia and other differences affect adults and shows that it is not just about literacy.  There are lots of other things that affect our work life and help us to be successful.  That is why our coaching and our Genius in Training resources are aimed at these issues.

We looked through the feedback to identify some overall ‘distance travelled’ feedback. We published the results at the British Psychological Society (BPS) Conference in January 2013.  We found that:

1. Our clients get an average of 4.5 sessions, which is over 9 hours.

2. Managers on average rate their employees’ performance over a wide range of topics at 4.88 before. Clients rate themselves at 3.98.

3. End user follow up scores are on average 6.25 and their managers report 6.26.

Because the client and manager scores are so different at the start, we believe this shows how our clients lack self confidence.  We are very happy that they post similar scores by the end.

You can read more about this research if you have access to academic databases using the following reference:

Doyle, N.E. & McDowall, A. (2015) Is coaching an effective adjustment for dyslexia in the workplace? Coaching: An International Journal of Theory and Practice, 8(2) 154-168

This data is based on 512 clients and 142 line managers and has been analysed using SPSS v22.  The data show significance at the 0.01 level, indicating that the is a 99% chance that the improvement is the result of the intervention and only a 1% chance that future cohorts would not achieve similar results.  For more information, please contact
Our coaching practice is informed by research please follow these links to find out more- Is coaching an effective adjustment for Dyslexia adults?  Psychology at work: improving wellbeing and productivity in the workplace

We are currently actively researching the impact of group based coaching and 1:1 coaching with Nancy Doyle’s doctoral research at City University, London.

Tanya Weston, our South West supervisor for social inclusion is also researching the impact of person-centred coaching with neurodiverse people who are incarcerated.

Nancy was the founder of the British Psychological Society Working Group looking at Neurodiversity and Employment.  In collaboration with our peers we are looking at the impact of diagnostic assessments and workplace needs assessments on job security and performance management.

Check out Nancy’s Linked In profile for more information on presentations we have given to the Society of Occupational Medicine and British Psychological Society,

©2020 Genius Within CIC all rights reserved. Website designed and powered by Eko UK Limited

Log in with your credentials

Forgot your details?